Some time ago my wife bought a MacBook (very nice device indeed!) and this weekend I tried to enable bluetooth modem connection between that and her Nokia E90 phone. I found that Nokia has a dedicated page for Apple support and even better, a tutorial how to use mobile phone as a modem. I have no idea what is wrong (maybe tutorial was for older MacOS version?), but I wasn't able to create modem connection with the steps described in the tutorial. The best I could do is to see bluetooth connection opening, but network was not brought up. So I just started to browse through the different settings screens and finally the connection opened.
Here is what I did:
- I downloaded iSync plugin, installed it and paired E90 and MacBook together (btw: iSync was easy to get running).
- I opened system preferences from Finder and then Network settings.
- Click the small "+" at the lower left corner of the network settings screen to add a new device
- Small dialog opens, select your bluetooth device from the drop-down menu and give it a descriptive name
- Set telephone number to *99#
- Open the extended settings for the new network interface
- Switch manufacturer to Nokia and type in the correct APN value (this depends on your operator) and save the settings.
- This is it, now I was able to create a new bluetooth modem connection